Eliminating chemicals from your skin is the best thing you can do for the body’s largest organ. Chemicals in certain products can be harmful for your skin. It is best to go the natural route to ensure that what you are using is keeping you safe from harm.
What Chemicals in Makeup are Harmful?
There are several chemicals found in everyday makeup that can be harmful. Here is a list of the chemicals to avoid:
- 1,4-Dioxane – This chemical is used to create suds in shampoos and make-up removers. It is also linked to cancer. This is a chemical you do not want to find in your make-up products.
- Butylated Compounds – There are chemicals in make-up to help with preservation of the product and give it a longer shelf-life. This chemical is linked to organ-system toxicity and endocrine disruption.
- Synthetic Fragrance – Manufactured fragrances are detrimental to respiratory systems and can even elicit an asthma or allergy response. Try to find products that have all-natural fragrances.
- Carbon Black – This is a dark, black powder that is used in mascara, eye shadow, and lipstick. This chemical has also been found to increase the incidence of cancer.
- Homosalate – This is used in sunscreen and skin care products to help absorb UV light. It has been linked to endocrine disruption.
- Lead and other Heavy Metals – There are contaminants found in lipstick, eyeliner, and even nail color. It can be linked to cancer, developmental and reproductive toxicity, and even organ system toxicity.
- Parabens – These chemicals are used to keep bacteria out of beauty products. They have been linked to cancer and even reproductive problems.
- Phthalates – These chemicals are found in beauty products and used to plasticize the product. The chemical has been linked to reproductive problems.
Which Makeup is Safe to Use?
- E3Live is a skin care line that makes all natural skin exfoliants and moisturizing creams. It gently resurfaces the skin and then has a moisturizing cream that provides the skin with the nutrients it needs to remain healthy.
- Andalou Naturals has a natural product called Beauty Balm that contains moisturizers and SPF to protect the skin. This balm provides healing properties the natural way.
- Ecco Bella Mascara is all-natural, with no fragrances or parabens. It uses carnauba wax, palm oil, and clay to get the color that is derived. Ecco Bella also has a liquid foundation that also contains SPF for sun protection. It uses aloe vera, sunflower oil, natural minerals, and titanium dioxide. It not only gives a flawless finish, it also nourishes and heals the skin that it is applied to.
Natural makeup has come a long way in the world. To go natural does not require that you have to accept sub-par products. The new age of natural products are safe for use and still provide beautiful results. Due to the amazing ingredients found in natural products, they will probably leave your skin in better condition than prior to applying make-up. So, go natural and watch your skin truly transform.
To read our article about perfume, click here.